Allergies are associated with people, but they can also affect your cat. Your feline friend can develop allergies from certain foods, fleas, or pollen, among other things. When your cat has allergies, they can vomit or sneeze, and this calls for you to take the right actions. The best thing that you can do is to change the diet of your cat. You can choose the best hypoallergenic cat food that will prevent your cat from suffering from more symptoms.
Table of Contents
- Things to Consider
- Recommended Best Hypoallergenic Cat Food Reviews
- Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Cat Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Dry Cat Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Adult, Perfect Weight for Weight Management, Chicken Recipe
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Cat Food
- Ingredients You Should Avoid Feeding a Hypoallergenic Cat
- Final Words
- Frequently Asked Questions
Hypoallergenic cat food is a type of food that has at most two animal proteins. The food prevents your cat from allergy-triggering proteins that are found in other food. It contains little or no grain, and it majorly comprises natural ingredients.
With the wide range of cat foods on the market, it can be challenging to pick the right one for your cat. I have done the hard part on your behalf. This guide and review narrow down your options so that you can make buying easy. I have given you a buyers guide and recommended top hypoallergenic cat foods that you can consider.
Things to Consider
Before you buy any hypoallergenic cat food, there are several considerations that you need to have in mind. This will help you pick the most suitable food for your cat. These top considerations include the following:
Certain ingredients that are common in most cat foods can cause allergies to your cat. If your cat has allergies, then you need to be keen about the ingredients present in the food. Make sure that you check the ingredients before buying hypoallergenic cat food. This will help you pick the right food for your cat.
This is another major consideration that you should have in mind when buying hypoallergenic cat food. Most of the allergies that cats suffer from result from the sources of proteins in their food. Cat foods contain different sources of proteins and in different amounts. Therefore, it is is easy for you to select a certain type of cat food that doesn’t have the protein that causes allergies for your cat.
Wet or Dry
You can either choose wet or dry cat food depending on your preference or what your cat loves. For instance, if your cat is used to eating dry food, then it is great to pick dry hypoallergenic cat food. This type of food is also messy. However, if your cat suffers from digestive problems, then it will be wise to buy wet food. Wet food has some benefits because it keeps your cat hydrated and prevents urinary tract problems, which is a common problem among many cats.
Does the particular type of food contain hydrolyzed proteins? This means that the protein has been broken down into amino acids to make it easy for your cat to digest. This type of food can be a thoughtful election for cats with sensitive digestive systems. However, if your cat suffers from the general sensitivity unlike that of a specific food, you can buy cat food with normal protein. This is because hydrolyzed cat food tends to be expensive because they undergo further processing.
Recommended Best Hypoallergenic Cat Food Reviews
The following cat foods will be a good selection for cats with allergies. These foods contain high nutritional value and the right ingredients. Check their detailed reviews below so that you can determine which one is right for your cat.
Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Cat Food
- One (1) 16 lb. Bag
- Rice and oat meal
- Omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin A
- Antioxidants for a healthy immune system
PURINA Pro Plan is one of the top brands when it comes to quality cat food. This cat food is ideal for cats with sensitive skin or stomach. It is also a great selection for cats that love dry food. It is made for adult cats and contains digestible ingredients like oatmeal and rice. The food also contains zinc and omega fatty acids that nourish the skin of your cat and ensure they have a healthy coat.
The number one ingredient in this cat food is lamb with up to 40% protein. This quality hypoallergenic cat food contains the right formulas that meet the nutritional requirements of your cat. It also contains natural prebiotic fiber derived from chicory roots. These ingredients promote a healthy digestive system. Unlike other cat foods, this one doesn’t contain artificial flavors or colors.
- Has antioxidants to boost the immune system
- The food contains easily digestible ingredients
- Quality food that cats love
- The food comes at an affordable price
- Nourishes irritated skin and promotes a healthy coat
- Contains natural prebiotic fiber that boosts a healthy digestive system
- Some users say it makes their cat sick
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Dry Cat Food
- Climate Pledge Friendly
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN
- GRAIN FREE CAT FOOD
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS
- NATURAL CAT FOOD
Chicken is one of the best ingredients that many cats love in their food. If you need a grain-free formula for your cat, get the Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free cat food. This dry cat food is ideal for adult cats, and it contains plenty of meat to meet your cat’s nutritional needs. It contains protein-rich meat as the top ingredient and healthy fruits and vegetables.
This cat food maintains healthy muscles for your cat. The real meat provides the required proteins for your cat. It also contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that promote healthy skin and coat. On top of that, the food supports a healthy immune system for your cat because it has vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Grain-free cat food with delicious meat
- Contains healthy fruits and vegetables
- Supports the immune system of your cat
- The food helps your cat build and maintain lean muscles
- Premium-quality cat food made with natural ingredients
- Quality ingredients recipe cause urinary problems
- Food makes cat sick
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin
- Upport a grown cat’s microbiome
- Vitamin E
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Veterinarian Recommended
For cats with sensitive skin and stomach, it is essential to consider the type of food that you give them. In this case, I would recommend the Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food to meet your cat’s nutritional needs. This is a high-quality cat food that is made in the US so you can be sure of trusted ingredients. The food contains natural and delicious ingredients that your cat will love.
This cat food doesn’t contain artificial colors and flavors that trigger allergic reactions to cats. Its precise nutrition promotes a healthy coat, skin, and stool. On top of that, the food contains a balanced recipe, and it is easy to digest. The food is made for adult cats, and it meets their nutrition hence promoting a healthy and happy cat.
- Features omega 6 fatty acids for a healthy skin
- Has a nice recipe that is gentle on your cat
- The food has antioxidants and vitamins to boosts cat’s immunity system
- Made in the USA with reliable and trusted ingredients
- It has natural ingredients and doesn’t contain artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- Many customers complain of changed formula
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Adult, Perfect Weight for Weight Management, Chicken Recipe
- A breakthrough weight management food for adult cats
- Provides support for lean muscle and long lasting
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Veterinarian recommended
This is an amazing cat food if you would like your cat to shed off some weight. The food works well, and over 70 percent of the cats fed this food lose weight in 10 weeks. This cat food has nutritional benefits for your cat, and it is the right weight management food or adult cats. On top of that, the food allows the cat to develop lean muscles.
It contains nutritional and natural ingredients that make your cat healthy. It has roasted vegetable and chicken medley that cats love. This cat food is made in the US, and it is number one recommended by a veterinarian. It doesn’t contain artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives that might cause allergies for your cat.
- Made with quality and natural ingredients
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Great nutrition that promotes a healthy skin
- The food has clinically proven antioxidants
- Great weight loss food for your chubby cat
- The formula changed
Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Cat Food
- Dry Cat Food by Natural Balance
- Real chicken
- Minimize the number of ingredients
- Supports healthy skin and a shiny coat
This is another quality hypoallergenic cat food that you can buy for your cats. This food has a limited number of ingredients of proteins and carbohydrates. The dry food is grain-free, and it is made to support healthy digestion for your cat. In addition, the food promotes a healthy coat and skin hence giving your cat a healthy look. Cats also love because it provides complete and balanced nutrition.
The food features high-quality duck as the major ingredient and source of protein. It has amino acids that promote string muscles and a shiny coat. If you need alternative ingredients, the food has green peas that is a good alternative to grains.
- The cat food is grain-free
- It offers a complete and balanced nutrition
- Doesn’t contain artificial flavors and colors
- Promotes healthy skin and a shiny and healthy coat
- The food promotes a healthy digestion
- Complaints of the formula change
- It would be better if the protein was high to meet the adult cat’s health requirements
Ingredients You Should Avoid Feeding a Hypoallergenic Cat
In as much as hypoallergenic means the food will trigger allergic reactions, there are some foods that you should avoid. Hypoallergenic is a relative word meaning what is good for your cat can cause allergies for another cat. Since you can find 100% allergy free cat food, there are some types of foods that you should not feed your cat. These foods include the following:
- Grains- They are hard for cats to digest.
- Seafood- Most cats are allergic to fish and seafood.
- Artificial colors and preservatives- they can cause allergies to cats.
- Dairy- not ideal for adult cats because they don’t have the right enzyme to digest lactose.
- Meat byproducts- some cats can be sensitive to various proteins in meat byproducts.
Several symptoms will let you know that your cat has allergies to a particular type of food. If you notice itchy skin, ear infection, red bumps on the skin, hair loss, or excessive scaling, all these are signs of allergies. The most important thing that you should determine what triggers your cat allergies and avoid them. Investing in the above reviewed best hypoallergenic cat food can be a better solution for your cat. These are quality foods that are ideal for cats with allergies. I have also given you a quick buyers guide to help you select the right cat food to suit your needs. I hope after going through our top picks, it will be easy for you to choose the right food for your cat.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I treat food allergies in my cats?
If you think your cats have allergies from food, consult your vet first. They will monitor the diet of the cat carefully to find out the type of food that is causing allergies. After finding out, then you need to avoid giving your cat food that causes allergies, or you can choose hypoallergenic cat foods.
What are the results of allergic reactions to cats?
Once you notice your cat has allergic reactions, you should not ignore. Instead, you should seek help from your vet. The level of allergic reactions can vary from one cat to another, but it is always an uncomfortable experience for them. Some consequences of allergic reactions in cats include wheezing, facial swelling, collapsing, trembling, or pale gums.
What type of foods are cats allergic to?
Just like humans, cats are also allergic to certain types of foods. Some of the food that can cause allergies for cats include fish, eggs, dairy, chicken, and beef, among others. You can also find some cats that have allergies to grains.
How can I know the allergy that my cat has?
Several symptoms will let you know that your cat has allergies. Some of them include diarrhea, runny nose, scratching than usual, ear infections, and inflamed paws or throat. If you find any of these symptoms, seek help from your vet to determine if there is an allergy. If your cat is suffering from any allergy, the vet will recommend hypoallergenic cat food.